Purpose of Job:
The Business Insight (B.I.) Team is responsible for the design and delivery of BI and reporting that provide value and insight across the group, including Ki the digital only syndicate. The team is responsible for providing reliable and fully controlled financial, regulatory, and reporting into several areas, including Underwriting, Claims, Finance, Actuarial, Risk and Operations, meeting the quality standards required and enabling the business to make effective decisions and to meet its ongoing regulatory requirements.
The role will report to the BI Engineering Manager. As a Business Insight Engineer you will be required to work alongside the business analysts in the team to translate business requirements into robust architectural data driven solutions that support the reporting requirements of Brit. The role will require you to design, build, deliver and maintain these software products ensuring that an optimal technology stack is developed within the team.
Insurance industry knowledge is essential to this role.
Budget and Headcount Information:
• No direct budget or headcount responsibility. Principal Accountabilities:
• Design and delivery of robust and scalable technical solutions that support both Brit’s strategic and tactical reporting objectives.
• Build new and support existing Tabular data models, ensuring they are fit for purpose and have optimal performance.
• Build Power BI models and dashboards.
• Build Azure Data Factory workflows that ingest and transform data into structures suitable for reporting.
• Create SQL Server schemas, tables, views, data imports and scripts.
• Code SQL queries to return data for reporting / reconciliation purposes.
• Communicate with technical experts to get services established and to assist with troubleshooting.
• Ensure all technical solutions are documented in line with departmental standards.
• Reconcile key data and reporting outputs within the Brit core systems.
• Provide industry insights, keeping abreast of technological changes or trends to ensure Brit are delivering within best practice guidelines.
• Provide technical recommendations for continuous improvements.
• To investigate opportunities to extract data from non-standard sources (e.g. external, unstructured)
Decision Making Responsibilities:
• Reports to the BI Engineering Manager.
• Prioritisation of own deliverables, in conjunction with BI Engineering Manager and other key stakeholders.
• Plan and manage own work. Monitor delivery against scope and timescales.
Education, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Skills, Competencies and Experience
The following attributes would be beneficial to the role of a B.I. Engineer:
• Experience in providing technical expertise for a Business Insight reporting function.
• Good Data Modelling skills with knowledge and experience in developing and maintaining Tabular models using Power BI Desktop, Power BI Premium and Visual Studio.
• Technical excellence in Power BI.
• Knowledge and experience in building pipelines in Azure Data Factory.
• Good knowledge of SQL Server databases.
• Good SQL skills including T-SQL.
• Good technical knowledge of Azure Cloud Computing Services.
• Good technical knowledge of Excel including PowerPivot, PowerQuery and DAX.
• Good knowledge of data ingestion, modelling and integration best practises.
• Good all-round technical skills with strong analytical skills.
The following would be beneficial, but not essential to the role
• Experience / knowledge of Python, R, Spark, NoSQL, GCP
• Effective communication / influencing skills across various parts of the organisation.
• Pro-active and responsive stakeholder management.
• Effective time management, ability to manage own workload appropriately.
• Builds and maintains strong and effective working relationships across the organisation.
• Attention to detail with strong analytical capability, including strong problem-solving skills and flexibility of approach.
• Proven ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Delivery focused with high levels of motivation, enthusiasm and drive together with strong influencing skills.
• The ability to multi-task and show flexibility when working on several activities simultaneously.
• Effective prioritisation and organisational skills in order to meet timescales.
• Ability to work autonomously, as well as being a good team player.
• Good Commercial awareness.
• Essential: The London Insurance Market, ideally Lloyd's.