Purpose of the Job:
The primary purposes of the job are:
• To be responsible for the preparation of Brit entities’ and group investment related content for financial statements and reporting.
• To deliver key tasks within the Fairfax Group consolidated reporting timetable delivering accurate reporting and supplementary schedules primarily via OneStream.
• To assist in the monthly preparation and reconciliation of all investment accounting data within all source and reporting systems.
• To assist in the preparation of regulatory reporting in a timely and accurate manner.
• To assist in the maintenance of all investment accounting related systems.
• To ensure the timely, complete and accurate delivery of the accounting and reporting data and to understand its content. To work closely with Fairfax to ensure all deliverables are delivered on a timely basis.
• To deliver Group reporting and supplementary schedules to Fairfax accurately and timely.
• To perform necessary assurance and reconciliation work.
• To deliver regulatory reporting (such as QMA, QAD, AAD, BSCR) to relevant bodies.
• To actively manage investment related systems such as FiMi and IDW.
• To maintain an up to date working knowledge of investing practices and regulations.
• To support PAM related work including cash matching and reconciliations when required.
• To reconcile QIAIF funds and perform the load into PAM and IDW to ensure NAV is 100% accurate and complete.
• To price any assets held in-house and ensure accurate inclusion in the investment accounting systems.
• To analyse asset pricing and monthly pricing reports.
• To deliver the investment related performance by asset and income type for inclusion in board and committee packs.
• Preparation of estimated performance vs actual performance reconciliations and analysis.
• To manage the investment accounting platform (ePAM) ensuring the integrity of its inputs and outputs.
• To develop the reporting from the Fairfax Investment Data Warehouse as required.
• To prepare general ledger reconciliation models, investigating differences and providing solutions.
• To prepare investment analysis within the required timescales, e.g. for statutory and regulatory reporting purposes, Lloyds reporting, internal Department reporting and any as required.
• To prepare Solvency II deliverables including the QAD, QMA and AAD to Lloyd’s and the BSCR to the
BMA as required.
• To prepare reporting on the investment elements of the Brit Group Consolidation and President’s
• To assist with any other duties as required within the Investment Operations Team.
• Involvement in Finance Department and Group ad-hoc projects as required.
• To liaise with the Fairfax Ventures team, Brit Insurance’s internal Investment/Treasury team, Tax Department, Regulatory reporting team, investment managers/custodians, auditors and Brit
Insurance’s overseas offices as appropriate.
• To identify, suggest, present, and implement improvements and/or efficiencies into work practices.
• To assist with maintaining procedures manuals for your areas of responsibility.
• To train other members of the team where required.
• To discharge your duties in respect of any other Financial Controls for your areas of responsibility.
Decision Making Responsibilities:
• Accounting decisions as required by the position (material items to be referred to Investment
Accounting Manager as appropriate).
Regulatory Conduct Rules
1. Act with integrity
2. Act with due skill, care and diligence
3. Be open and co-operative with Lloyd’s, the FCA, the PRA, and other regulators
4. Pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly
5. Observe proper standards of market Conduct
Education, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• University educated with 2.1 degree in a mathematical or financial field.
• Desire to study towards a Chartered Accountant qualification such as ACA, ACCA or CIMA essential, any exams undertaken advantageous.
• A genuine interest in financial markets essential.
• Strong Microsoft Excel skills essential.
• Bloomberg skills desirable.
• Highly driven, ambitious self-starter with high level of personal motivation.
• Excellent communication and presentational skills.
• The ability to work with minimum supervision and on own initiative where necessary
• The ability to work within a team to ensure team deadlines are met.
• The ability to independently prioritise tasks and meet tight deadlines particularly during month end periods.
• Discretion and strict confidentiality must be used at all times.